Prozac is seen to be favored for treatment of depression, bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses that can range from mild to those of a more serious nature.
Prozac Dosage generally ranges from 10-80 mg. The dosage that is made available to you by your medical care provider is usually dependent on several factors:
Your age; The kind of medical condition that you are begin treated for; The other types of medication that you might be using at the moment; The presence of other medical conditions.
You need to know that you should not alter your Prozac dosage without consulting your doctor. The treatment for depression as well as obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is given through the application of a dosage of 20 mg a day.
There are times when your doctor might increase your dosage if your symptoms prevail and they may reduce your dosage if you are experiencing some side effects.
Apart from the daily dosage, there is also the weekly dosage, which is usually taken once a week on a particular day each week.
Prozac is also being used for treatment of bulimia, which requires a much higher dosage as compared to those using this medication for the treatment of depression as well as for panic disorders.
For bulimia, the recommended Prozac dosage is usually 60 mg per day. Your doctor might however decide to prescribe dose that is lower to cater for certain situations for example old people or those individuals with liver problems.
The dose for those with a panic disorder is usually 10 mg daily. This dose might be increased after one week. It should be noted that the maximum panic disorder dose of Prozac is usually 60 mg.
The Prozac dosage that is usually taken by teenagers and young children usually ranges from 10 mg to 20 mg daily. The medical practitioners usually consider the age, weight as well as medical conditions when it comes to prescribing Prozac to your children.
This medication has been recommended for treatment of OCD and depression in children and teenagers. It has however not been put to use to treat them for bulimia and panic disorder.
When taking the Prozac dosage, you need to take the following into consideration;
- Do not open or cut the capsules, swallow them whole instead of chewing them
- The Prozac dosage takes some weeks to work effectively so you need not get discouraged if you do not see the benefits in the early periods of treatment.
- If you experience drowsiness after taking Prozac, adjust your time to just before bedtime
- if you experience insomnia, take the dosage in the morning
- If you are old or have conditions such as liver failure, your Prozac dosage is usually lower as compared to that of other people
- Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly as it leads to withdrawal symptoms
- Take the Prozac medication as it was prescribed to you for it to work well for you
If you find that you are not sure about anything concerning the Prozac dosage, you need to consult your doctor for more information.